06 April 2007

the bird of memory

the winter doesn't take me back to youth
spring with its green and summer's heat
are signs to me of an eternal truth
the vulture flying high above our street
like a policeman on his normal beat
not caring what thoughts are in my head
its wings are steady and its gliding fleet
like me its thoughts are focused on the dead

one would expect the heart to melt with ruth
there are those folk whom i'll no longer greet
i'll not see again that old lady in the booth
there are those friends i can no longer meet
that girl's smile i remember it was sweet
i know that there's no hope and thus no dread
the vulture's wings make motions that are neat
like me its thoughts are focused on the dead

the one whose mind was swift as any sleuth
could not his fate to die in water cheat
that other who at no time was uncouth
i'll never hear the sound of his fast feet
he's gone as surely as last season's wheat
the worms on his young body now are fed
the vulture thinks of him as just more meat
like me its thoughts are focused on the dead

prince lord of hades who will us all defeat
don't let your power swell your awful head
the vulture's belly will soon be replete
like me its thoughts are focused on the dead

No comments: