18 January 2007

For Serge Mailloux

One can be prolix, or one can be terse,
it doesn't matter which approach you take
unless you seek with every word to break
from plainest prose into the finest verse.
It would be better (nothing could be worse),
if you seek a simple poem your own to make,
to plunge in deeply, for, make no mistake,
you want your carriage not to be your hearse.
Now, having said this in Italian rhyme
I make a turn (or volta) to inform
you of the options currently on view;
you've got to work hard to avoid the crime
of violating a long-established norm,
but what you get will be shiny and new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can get Serge into writing poetry, you're ahead of me. He doesn't trust his own taste.

We both seem to be saying the same thing a lot, to many would-be rhymers on ML. Just try, guys!

Should we post fewer poems? Worse ones? Different forms? What do you think?

FSJL said...

That's true, we are saying that a lot.

I think we should just keep on doing what we're doing. I try different forms as the spirit moves me.

I don't know if I can get Serge to write. I hope he does one day, I think he'll have a lot to say.