03 June 2006

Back from the Land of the Hummingbird.


Travel is alleged to broaden, though what it broadens, apart from the fundament, is not altogether clear. Air travel involves imitating a sardine, being treated like a sheep, and hoping that you get to your destination along with your luggage.

We're back after spending most of the past week in Trinidad (as well as most of one day getting there, and most of one day getting back). We were at the Caribbean Studies Association conference where I delivered a paper on C.L.R. James which was well received (much to my relief).

The conference was interesting, both because I made some new connections (and finally associated a person with the e-mails that we've been exchanging), but also, of course, because so many of the people attending were old friends and acquaintances. Mikey Crichlow was there, having her latest book launched (by Percy Hintzen, which is very auspicious, and he had a lot of praise both for the book and for her), as was Kim Robinson-Walcott, whose book on Anthony Winkler was launched by Ken Ramchand. Brian Meeks was there, as was Horace Campbell. I got to meet Diana Thorburn who jumped up and hugged me because I was an old friend of Wayne Chen's.

There were some interesting panels, and I was glad I went, not only because I got to deliver a paper, and have people ask me for copies, but because I got to hear a lot of interesting stuff on a wide variety of subjects.

Of course, there's always a down side. In this case, the taxi ride from the hotel to Piarco Airport this morning. The driver was either blind or stoned. He clipped a car on his right (which he didn't even see), which frightened the hell of out me since that was the side on which I was sitting, and nearly headed off to Sando instead of the airport -- even though the signs were quite visible. He also had trouble recognising red lights (and we nearly crashed into a police jeep). All in all, not the best taxi ride we've ever had.

Next year the CSA is meeting in Bahia, so everyone wants to go. Unfortunately, the first day will also be the day Roger graduates -- so we have to figure out how to go to both.

No comments: